Wednesday 11 March 2020

Stuff I'm Listening To #95 - Guilty Pleasures Week #1 - Psy


Artist: 싸이 (Psy)

Title: 강남스타일 (Gangnam Style)

Lyrics
정숙해 보이지만 놀 땐 노는 여자
이때다 싶으면 묶었던 머리 푸는 여자
가렸지만 웬만한 노출보다 야한 여자
그런 감각적인 여자


(A girl who seems good but plays when she plays
A girl who puts her hair down when the right time comes
A girl who covers herself but is more sexy than a girl who exposes it all
A sensible girl like that)


Why?: This was a difficult list to compile. I am generally not ashamed of anything on my playlists. So while other people might deny knowing how certain questionable tunes somehow magically appeared on their playlists, me? Not so much. I have weird tastes and am very much one of those people that will gravitate towards the those songs that everyone else is already sick of because they're overplayed, overproduced, annoyingly catchy, ear worms. 

I like all manner of strange things. Mash-ups, some remixes, covers, commercial jingles, TV show theme songs... was it set to music? I probably liked it. 

I'm sure you all know Psy. You can't have existed in 2012 and not known about this song. Suffice to say, I can't explain much except it was Korean, it was hilarious and I made fun of everyone who mispronounced "Gangnam". Plus, there is something that needs to be noted about being able to teach the chief of the UN your signature Gangnam Style moves. I would have dressed up like Psy for Hallowe'en that year, except do you know how hard it was to find a powder blue tuxedo that year? 

Ban Ki Moon with Psy in 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment