Friday 6 March 2020

Stuff I'm Listening To #91 - Billy Idol - Dancing With Myself


Artist: Billy Idol

Title: Dancing With Myself

Favourite Lyrics

When there's no one else in sight,
In crowded lonely night
Well, I wait so long for my love vibration
And I'm dancing with myself


Why?: Remember how Cyndi knew how kids would think her song was about dancing and not quite figure out the double entendres until they were a little more mature? I don't know if that was Billy's intention but it was the same. 

The euphemisms were a bit lost on my parents, who's first language was not English (for the record, it wasn't their second neither). Third language in, English was never going to be a strong point for them (but you'd never know it). I certainly didn't understand the lyrics to be too different than what Cyndi's video was about. To me, Billy was clearly an outsider and the chances of him finding someone weird like himself weren't good, so damnit, he'll just enjoy his own company and be himself. I remember older kids giggling when I'd belt out songs like this, 'She Bop' and 'Like a Virgin'. And older kids being the way they are, weren't about to explain to some kid why there were laughing. I'm pretty sure they didn't quite understand themselves, they just laughed because kids older than themselves were laughing and they needed to fit in.

But a good tune is universal. It's the reason that music has the ability to transcend borders. Also, Billy isn't exactly a profound poet by any means, but he's Billy Idol and likely one of the few people able to get away with 'love vibration' without sounding too cheesy. 

I still take my original interpretation of the lyrics to heart. 'Dancing With Myself' isn't a euphemism for me. It's about having the house to myself, blasting my stereo and grooving without tripping over my pets. But there's a theme going here this week, and this song most certainly fits. Happy Friday (or Saturday) everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment