Monday 2 March 2020

Stuff I'm Listening To #88 - Green Day - Long View



Artist: Green Day

Title: Longview

Lyrics
Bite my lip and close my eyes
Take me away to paradise
I'm so damn bored, I'm going blind
And I smell like shit


Why?: I like Green Day. I'm not quite sure why everyone else seemed to have a problem with them back in the day. There's something weird about being a successful punk band. The goal is to become successful in music, yet, if you do, you're somehow a sellout and no longer punk? I remember sometimes people would scoff at me because apparently, Green Day wasn't real punk anymore because they'd become too famous... (and I fully admit I got caught up in that mentality too at the time). Even Siouxsie Sioux took issue with Green Day because they were singing with fake cockney accents to try to sound more punk, according to her. Aww... Siouxsie! Why you gotta hate? 

For what it's worth, this is one of those few songs that firms roots itself into a fixed point in time for me. I don't consume music chronologically so I find it hard to place songs close to their specified 'eras'. That song came out when I was at the midst of post-teenage angst. I was in University and not having any of it. I was this song's description. Restless, bored, with no direction in my life and suffering for it because of pressure from everyone (i.e. I'm Asian, so the very fact I was questioning my career path of their choice (A Lawyer who was also a Doctor and Physicist on the side) was enough to have my parents upset with me.). Once I figured out what the hell he was singing about, I made this song my anthem. Even my ennui had to be funny. What better way than to have a song to sing about it?

What else are you going to do as a bored twenty something still living at home?

No comments:

Post a Comment