Tuesday 17 March 2020

Stuff I'm Listening To #101 - Guilty Pleasures #7 - Me First and the Gimmie Gimmies


Artist: Me First and the Gimmie Gimmies

Title: Over the Rainbow

Why?: I noticed when it came to new punk bands (and some old ones) a cover meant you're playing the song twice as fast, with pumping guitars. I remember working my second job, in publishing, and a co-worker (Thanks Jeremy!) had introduced me and my best friend to them, along with a couple of compilations called Punk Chartbusters, which were exactly what I described above. Songs you know, played faster and louder. The result, this glorious cacophonous mess of delightful punkified karaoke. 

My days in publishing are long gone, the company I worked for got rid of their print department in favour of pushing their online product. 

But I met some really great people during my time there and whenever I hear a punk cover I'm brought back to those super late nights, during my earlier days there when they were located up near Yorkdale Mall. Late night server crashes, moody plate machines. Our downtime was like school. Rolled up pieces of film became baseball bats, hockey sticks or lightsabres. We smoked in the courtyard and had snowball fights. I once decided to see how many paperclips fit in someone's legendary hair. Someone allegedly moved around artwork late one night to see if anyone would notice. Super marathon shifts (72 hours for my supervisor, 19 hours was my record).

Trader peeps? You were the best. I have fond memories of those days because of you guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment