Sunday 15 March 2020

Stuff I'm Listening to #99 - Guilty Pleasures #5 - Mash-Ups


Artists: Nine Inch Nails vs. the Beatles

Title: Come Closer Together

Why?: Remember how I've mentioned I've got this mind that goes off in a multitude of different directions to those irrelevant tangents? Well, sometimes those trains of thought come back and meet, bump fists and continue, or crash together outright and you're left with the carnages that are my blog posts. My mind is such that it's incredibly hard for me to focus at times.

It is this lack of focus that made me attempt (and fail) to sync up Rustin Man's 'Drift Code' in some meaningful way with '2001: A Space Odyssey' the other day. For what it's worth, 'Euphonium Dream' works super well with the second appearance of the monolith on the moon just like I thought it would. The screaming pre-humans part... meh... not so much. 

Mash-ups are these weird attempts to get two songs, often unrelated, overlaid and working together in a way you probably never expected. Most of them use the instrumental track overlaid with someone else's vocals. Because they are weird and familiar at the same time I like them. You wouldn't think Guns and Roses vs the Beatles would work, but it does. Kraftwerk vs the Beastie Boys? Yes! And linked below, potentially one of the weirdest mash-ups where I sat there stunned by how surprisingly well they worked together. Beyonce and Andy Griffith.

There are, from what I've seen, zero good Talk Talk mash-ups in my opinion, in case you were wondering.


No comments:

Post a Comment