Saturday, 14 March 2020

Stuff I'm Listening to #98 - Guilty Pleasures #4 - Tonight - NKOTB


Artist: New Kids on the Block

Title: Tonight, Tonight

Choice Lyrics: 
Remember when we said, "Girl, please don't go"
And how I'd be loving you forever
Taught you 'bout hangin' tough
As long as you've got the right stuff


Why?: I'm not going to bother defending myself. I was never a huge NKOTB fan. Just a casual fan who happened to like their singles. They are one of those polished, over processed bands I was talking about. I don't have a problem admitting I like their songs. What I take issue with is everyone assuming I was a giant fan of the band. I was never a fan like that. I didn't think they were hot. I didn't have a favourite. If pressed, I suppose it was Jonathan. The shy, gay one, of course! His shyness made him cute to me. 

So for all the songs I could have chosen, why this one? Because it kinda sounds like a Beatles song, and I really like the Beatles. If you wanted a deeper reason, I can't give you one. It's a guilty pleasure after all. 

For what it's worth, I did see these guys in concert back in 1990, at Exhibition Stadium, a venue that has long since been torn down. I went along because it was a group of us and tickets were reasonably priced, but up in the nose bleeds.

They put on a reasonably entertaining dance routine. What was brutally obvious was how badly they were lip syncing. But it didn't matter. There's something pretty amazing about a stadium filled with screaming pre-teen and teenage girls. There is no energy in the world like it. It's... terrifying.

No comments:

Post a Comment