Saturday 14 March 2020

Stuff I'm Listening to #98 - Guilty Pleasures #4 - Tonight - NKOTB


Artist: New Kids on the Block

Title: Tonight, Tonight

Choice Lyrics
Remember when we said, "Girl, please don't go"
And how I'd be loving you forever
Taught you 'bout hangin' tough
As long as you've got the right stuff


Why?: I'm not going to bother defending myself. I was never a huge NKOTB fan. Just a casual fan who happened to like their singles. They are one of those polished, over processed bands I was talking about. I don't have a problem admitting I like their songs. What I take issue with is everyone assuming I was a giant fan of the band. I was never a fan like that. I didn't think they were hot. I didn't have a favourite. If pressed, I suppose it was Jonathan. The shy, gay one, of course! His shyness made him cute to me. 

So for all the songs I could have chosen, why this one? Because it kinda sounds like a Beatles song, and I really like the Beatles. If you wanted a deeper reason, I can't give you one. It's a guilty pleasure after all. 

For what it's worth, I did see these guys in concert back in 1990, at Exhibition Stadium, a venue that has long since been torn down. I went along because it was a group of us and tickets were reasonably priced, but up in the nose bleeds.

They put on a reasonably entertaining dance routine. What was brutally obvious was how badly they were lip syncing. But it didn't matter. There's something pretty amazing about a stadium filled with screaming pre-teen and teenage girls. There is no energy in the world like it. It's... terrifying.

No comments:

Post a Comment