Tuesday 24 December 2019

Stuff That I'm Listening To - Christmas Advent Edition - December 24th


Artist: The Pogues

Title: Fairytale of New York

Lyrics:
I could have been someone
Well so could anyone
You took my dreams from me
When I first found you
 

I kept them with me babe
I put them with my own
Can't make it all alone
I've built my dreams around you


Why?: 
I think some of the best stories are told through songs.

This song has been a regular on my Christmas playlist since I first heard it many years ago. I admit, I didn't like the song at first. My tastes at the time were geared towards top 40 pop. This most certainly did not fit that criteria. But the song got it's fair share of airplay on MuchMusic and it grew on me. And I started to listen to the lyrics.

The great thing about this song is that it grabs you by the Christmas feels. It's sentimental and joyful and sad, but hopeful and full of love. Not the fairy tale happily ever after love either. The dirty, nitty gritty, feisty love. We fight, we make up. We love each other even when we hate each other. I fully admit I get a bit weepy at the above lyrics. 

Merry Christmas Eve! And Merry Christmas to future peeples on the other side of the planet.

No comments:

Post a Comment