Tuesday 17 December 2019

Stuff I'm Listening To - The Christmas Advent Edition - December 17th


Artist: Tim Pope

Title: I Want To Be A Tree


Lyrics:
From the very beginnings, of history
Man's not seen the wood for the trees
Now they're all busy planning World War Three
We are all invited, so can't you see why


Why?
So you might be thinking, she's a Talk Talk fan. They never put out a holiday album. How's she going to sneak them into this list? Ok. You might not have been thinking it, but I certainly was. And then I discovered this ditty at the beginning of this year. 

I present this weird and wonderful piece by the legendary Tim Pope, which from what I recall was to be a commentary on how video directors were starting to get more attention than the musicians themselves. His self-depreciating joke of a video, which features cameo appearances from his friends from Paul Young, Soft Cell, Style Council, Siouxsie and the Banshees, the Cure and of course, Mark Hollis from Talk Talk (video linked below). He scored a record deal after this video was played. Seems the joke went over the companies heads.

And how is this a Christmas song? Pfffffft.. My list, my rules. He's singing about wanting to be a tree. That's why.


No comments:

Post a Comment