Sunday 8 December 2019

Stuff I'm Listening to - The Christmas Advent Edition - December 8th


Artist: Otis Redding

Title: White Christmas

Favourite Lyrics: 

I'm dreaming of a white Christmas
Just like the ones I used to know


Why?: Special thanks to Instabuddies @alla.pw who presented a list of holiday hits for me to go through and my vinyl sensei @threadpennyvinyl who verified just how great this version was before I had a chance to sit and have a listen. 

I must sadly admit before this year, I think I only knew two songs by Otis Redding ('Sitting on the Dock of the Bay' and 'These Arms of Mine'). So far as Christmas carols go, this is one of those lovely hit-you-in-the-feels carols that are full of sentiment with a dash of melancholy. When sung right, the song makes one feel a little blue and nostalgic. When Otis sings, you're floored. There's no snow, and this is completely devastating. I can relate. I'm a winter baby and I live for this season. 

In Canada, the definition for a white Christmas is determined by the amount of snow on the ground at 7:00 a.m. on Christmas day. 2 cm or more, and Otis and I aren't lamenting over it. For the record, for the past 61 years in Toronto, the score for white Christmases is 20. Not great odds. Back in the day, the odds for a White Christmas in Toronto was also 50%. in the last 30 years, it's dropped to a 45% chance. 

I'm still holding out.



 


No comments:

Post a Comment