Thursday 5 December 2019

Stuff I’m listening to - Christmas Advent Edition - December 5th

 
Artist: No Doubt

Title: Oi to the World

Favourite Lyrics:

If God came down on Christmas Day
I know exactly what he'd say
He'd say "Oi to the punks and Oi to the skins
But Oi to the world and everybody wins!"


Why?
Because Christmas needs more punk music! So... I wish I could tell you what it is about No Doubt and their cover songs that attract me so. I have no answers. This catchy piece was actually written and originally recorded by some friends of theirs, a group called the Vandals. Their version is posted below. 

No Doubt were asked to contribute a song to the charity album "A Very Special Christmas - Vol. 3" and decided to cover this. And why not? It fits with the sentiment of Christmas. Peace on Earth. Goodwill towards men. Both versions of the song certainly spice up the holiday playlist for me. No Doubt made a cute and funny video to accompany this song with a rather simple tale of with the moral 'be nice to each other'. It's simple. It's feel good. Christmas should be a time to be happy, so all things comedy are going to be welcome. And don't over think it. Don't be bitching at me about how Punk was more political back in the day. Yeah, it was. New punk can be, but the pop-punk stuff, not so much. But I'll tell you one thing that hasn't quite gotten lost. Punk still has a sense of humour.  

Oi!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment