Saturday 21 December 2019

Stuff I'm Listening To - The Christmas Advent Edition - Yule - December 21st


Artist: the Eurythmics

Title: Winter Wonderland

Lyrics:

Later on we'll conspire
As we dream by the fire
To face unafraid, the plans that we've made
Walking in a winter wonderland

Why?
Annie Lennox has an amazing voice. I wasn't aware of this version until about ten years ago when I made it a mission to fill my mp3 player with Christmas songs I liked for the season instead of having to listen to the drivel that top 40 radio deemed appropriate holiday music. In my travels, this came up. Between this and "Put A Little Love In Your Heart" I'm generally happy to hear it. Unlike Paul McCartney and David Bowie/Bing Crosby's songs that get overplayed starting in October. 

The Eurythmics made this their song. It's not super jangly and grating. If you didn't know it for a Christmas carol, it could easily have become part of their regular set list so far as I'm concerned. Like Last Christmas by Wham!, this song sometimes sneaks into my regular playlist because Annie Lennox is such an amazing singer.

It's been a lovely blustery winter in Toronto in the last few days. Feels utterly Christmassy! I think it's a great song and a great way to celebrate the Winter Solstice. That being said... They're forecasting 10ºC on Monday. The chances of us having a white Christmas are quickly dwindling. You may hear me weeping and blasting Otis' version of White Christmas come Monday if all the snow is gone.

And for my dear friends on the other side of the planet, happy Summer Solstice!

No comments:

Post a Comment