Wednesday 25 December 2019

Stuff I'm Listening To - The Christmas Advent Edition - December 25th


Artist: Band Aid

Title: Do They Know It's Christmas?

Lyrics:
And the Christmas bells that ring there are the clanging chimes of doom
Well tonight thank God it's them instead of you


Why?: I'm not here to debate this song with anyone. For me, this list was about putting up songs that captured the spirit of Christmas, or were at least uplifting and/or hilarious. Something to make one happy, smile, laugh. This song immediately puts me firmly in the middle of the 80s, a time that was the summer of my life. I was young, innocent and having a blast. And then Bob Geldof comes along and makes us take note that not everyone is happy, and we should pay attention. People need help in the world. 

I know Bob has a general dislike of this song afterwards. But the main reason I love this song today is because it really did come from the heart. Bob saw a documentary about the famine in Ethiopia and was so moved, he did everything in his power to raise awareness and money to help.  

If you followed me out this far, I humbly thank you. It's been weird and wonderful putting this list together. I've discovered more than 25 songs and have tucked them away for next time. If there was anything I excluded that you thought should have come in, let me know. Perhaps I wasn't aware of it.  

I want to wish everyone who reads this a very Merry Christmas, happy holiday season, whatever it is you may celebrate (let me know if you want, what holidays you celebrate! I'm always interested in learning new things!). Best wishes for the new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment