Tuesday 3 December 2019

Stuff I'm Listening To - The Christmas Advent Edition - December 3rd


Artist: Joan Jett and the Blackhearts

Title: The Little Drummer Boy

Lyrics:

I played my drum for him
Pa rum pum pum pum
I played my best for him
Pa rum pum pum pum,
Rum pum pum pum,
Rum pum pum pum
Then he smiled at me
Pa rum pum pum pum
Me and my drum
 
Why?: Clearly nothing says Christmas like Joan Jett, right? I've always loved Joan Jett. She's an awesome musician, one of those few and far between strong female role models I had during the 80s. I honestly had no idea she'd recorded this song which was featured on a re-release of her classic 'I Love Rock and Roll' album. Of all the versions of this song, I'd have to say this is certainly my favourite. Also, what's not to love about the story that baby Jesus liked good drummers?

The stop motion cartoon by Rankin-Bass that came out back in the 70s did their best to recreate their success that they had with 'Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer'. It was their  dressed up tale of this Christmas carol. I can't say with much certainty that it was one I enjoyed watching and for the life of me, I honestly don't know why. It's quite possible I found it to be too slow and I couldn't relate to the mouthy brat that was the Little Drummer Boy.

Mediocre cartoon aside, I've always like this carol because it was one of the few I was able to remember the words to. Easy to sing, hard to screw up. As far as carols go, it too had this reminder that sometimes the best gifts aren't material ones. A gift from the heart, the gift of music is priceless. 

I found out in my internet travels that the Trapp Family Singers (Yeah, the von Trapps of 'Sound of Music' fame) recorded this song way back in 1951. Feel free to blow the dust of that one next trivia evening.

Also, because I've discovered tossing together little collages of photos in Instgram is fun, here is the initial layout of the photo, featuring some of my favourite drummers along with Joan. 
(Photo credits: The following photos are screen captures from the videos noted: Aron from 'The Little Drummer Boy' - produced by Rankin Bass, Joan Jett from 'I Love Rock and Roll', Lee Harris of Talk Talk from 'Live in Montreau', Roger Taylor of Duran Duran from 'The Reflex'. Photo of Neil Peart of Rush by Jesse Grant. Photo of Animal of Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem (the Muppets) (who's drumming was performed by Ronnie Verrell) from Drummerworld.com. Photo of Buddy Rich from the Michael Ochs Archive.)



No comments:

Post a Comment