Monday 25 May 2020

Stuff I'm Listening to - War of the Worlds


Artist: Justin Hayward (the Moody Blues) (composed by Jeff Wayne)

Title: Forever Autumn

Lyrics
A gentle rain falls softly on my weary eyes
As if to hide a lonely tear
My life will be forever autumn,
'Cause you're not here


Why?: I am not sure if I've ever mentioned my best friend, the one who first dubbed me Peanut. She was the one who made an attempt to introduce me to more progressive music than I was used to listening to in high school. She was a rocker at heart, and where I was something in between Bender and Brian (the 'brain') from the 'the Breakfast Club' and JD from 'Heathers' and a freelance mod and goth, was immersed in the depths of synth-pop, ska and punk, she was immersed in the depths of prog-rock, heavy metal and punk. It was a history teacher that had introduced her to Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds and in turn she made a copy of the CDs for me. 

Linked above, a live version of the one track I immediately gravitated to, featuring Justin Hayward of the Moody Blues who provided the vocals in the original recording, followed by the track Thunderchild lead by Chris Thompson of Manfred Mann, which I've grown to like over the years. 

Below, a kind of ambient track that, to my understanding, wasn't part of the original score, but has made it's way into the remix album, ULLAdubULLA, where it serves only as a narrative device where the Martians discuss their plans to invade the planet Earth. 

ULLAdubULLA (Audio only)

No comments:

Post a Comment