Tuesday 19 May 2020

Stuff I'm Listening to - Little Shop of Horrors



Artist: Steve Martin

Title: Dentist

From: Little Shop of Horrors

Lyrics
I thrill when I drill a bicuspid
(Bicuspid)
It's swell though they tell me I'm maladjusted
(Dentist)


Why?:
I had started a bit of a COVID-19 Playlist earlier that has since sputtered and failed so far as I am concerned. Apparently we're in the midst of what researchers dub the third quarter phenomenon, a period during long missions that have crew isolated (think Space, Submarines, Antarctica), that leave the crew isolated from family for long periods of time. It's a period of lower morale, unpleasant moods, a general down feeling. This COVID-19 stuff has taken it's toll. We are all under stress, so know that you're feeling meh is quite normal. So... Let me share some more guilty pleasures with you to maybe cheer you up. I discovered that Andrew Lloyd Webber has been streaming his musicals for us quarantined folk and also trying to raise money for theatre workers in times of need (like right now).

I like musicals. I've only ever seen two ('The Phantom of the Opera' and 'Les Misérables') live. The rest I've only watched as movies or only heard their soundtracks. 

Today my pick is 'Dentist' from 'Little Shop of Horrors'. It's a lovely dark comedy, directed by Frank Oz. Steve Martin is a great actor and does a wonderful job as Dr. Orin Scrivello, a stereotypical bad guy, who's a biker and happens to be a dentist as well. This is one of my favourite bits of the movie because it's hilariously over the top. The movie cast some amazing SCTV and Saturday Night Live alumnis (Rick Moranis, John Candy, Bill Murray, James Belushi) so you know the comedy performances are going to be gold.

It's a great bit of film except that the not-fairy-tale ending was cut since test audiences didn't like it, and changed up for the bit of fluff that's there now. 

That reminds me. They shut down all the dentists two months ago. I seriously need to go floss. 

No comments:

Post a Comment