Friday 22 May 2020

Stuff I'm Listening to - the Sound of Music


Artist: Bill Lee overdubbed for Christopher Plummer and Charmain Carr
  

Title: Edelweiss

From: The Sound of Music by Rogers and Hammerstein

Lyrics (all):
Edelweiss, Edelweiss
Every morning you greet me
Small and white clean and bright
You look happy to meet me
Blossom of snow, may you bloom and grow
Bloom and grow forever
Edelweiss, Edelweiss
Bless my homeland forever


Why?: There are a ton of Christmas related memories attached with this movie because they always seem to play it on television around that time, at least here in North America. 

I think my mom and dad were happy that they would plunk me in front of the television for about two hours of relative peace and quiet. I usually fell asleep just after their performance at the festival, but I don't think I really understood they escaped from the Nazis until I was old enough to stay awake that long.

For all the songs in this musical, I could have picked the 'Goat Herder' or 'Do-Ri-Mi' but this was the song my mum and dad gravitated to. My mom would hum or whistle this song to herself often. And I had caught my dad whistling it a number of times to himself. It's a pretty song.

I know Christopher Plummer nicknamed this movie the 'Sound of Mucus' and I don't blame him. It's rather full of mushy sentiments. But also filled with some great songs. 

It was many years later when Christopher Plummer went on to appear in 'Star Trek: The Undiscovered Country' that my frantic brain much desired to hear 'Edelweiss' in Klingon.  Alas, I have not found one yet. But a preliminary search of the internets brought me this. I'm not sure what I watched, and am now just more bothered and confused than ever. So naturally I've posted it below so you too can share in my current mood.

Edelweiss - Starship Edelweiss
 

No comments:

Post a Comment