Thursday 21 May 2020

Stuff I'm Listening To - Les Misérables


Artists: Sacha Baron Cohen and Helen Bonham-Carter

From: Les Misérables 

Lyrics:

Master of the house? Isn't worth my spit!
Comforter, philosopher and lifelong shit!
Cunning little brain, regular Voltaire
Thinks he's quite a lover but there's not much there
What a cruel trick of nature landed me with such a louse
God knows how I've lasted living with this bastard in the house!


 Why?: This is a great stage production if you get a chance to see it. It is filled with some wonderful pieces. My first and only time seeing Les Miz, I was provided with two warnings: 

"Don't wear mascara. Bring Clean-Ex". 

My friend was not wrong. 

One of my favourite pieces from the show is Cosette singing "Castle in the Cloud" which, when done right, will bring me to tears. Yeah yeah... I'm a giant softy. I know. But it also seems, I have a soft spot for depravity and scoundrels. They seem to get some of the best lines and best numbers in stories.

I cannot remember who played Monsieur and Madame Thénardiers in the production I saw, but I quite enjoyed the number in the film and think that Cohen and Bonham-Carter did a great job of it. 

Castle On a Cloud - Original Cast Recording


I'm not crying. You're crying.

No comments:

Post a Comment