Thursday 20 June 2019

Stuff I'm Listening To: Special Happy Birthday John Taylor edition


Artist: Duran Duran
Title: Lonely In Your Nightmare
Lyrics:
Must be lucky weather when you find the kind of wind that you need
C'mon show me all the light and shade that made your name
I know you've got it in your head, I've seen that look before
You've built your refuge turns you captive all the same

Why?: Well, it's John Taylor’s birthday. He is one of my favourite bassists. If you haven’t figured it out, I have a thing for hot bassists (Paul Webb, Paul McCartney, Sting, Sandy Horne). I think his work on this song is beautiful and I discovered that it’s a fretless bass that's giving this beautiful sound. I love his work on Last Chance on the Stairway too, but I’ve already posted it before (on FB anyway). 

Also, I need to show of my John Taylor swag. I had met him during the same autograph session that had Nick Rhodes remembering the photo of us was taken on (sic) my birthday (it was near my birthday) and pulled that out of the blue three years after the fact. John was far more interested in my friend's Cult T-shirt (thinking it was Guns and Roses) than me. I don't take it personally. There was a lot going on that day as the autograph session was poorly planned and by the time I'd made my way to the front (injured knee and all) we were being paraded past them as if they were zoo animals on display. 

So below is his book, In the Pleasure Groove and the audio CD signed (purchased from Amazon). 


I can't tell you it's a great book without sounding biased. But it was a good read. If you liked the 80s, grab it. If you like biographies, grab it. If you like Duran Duran, shame on you if you don't already own it. ;) 

Happy birthday John Taylor, hot bass guitarist. :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment