Thursday 16 January 2020

Stuff I'm Listening To - Special Happy Birthday Paul Webb Edition

Out Of Season - Beth Gibbons & Rustin Man


Artist: Beth Gibbons and Rustin Man

Title: Rustin Man

Favourite Lyrics


How many more days can we take in the hope of seeing you
Oh Rustin Man


Why?: Hmm. Must be someone's birthday today. HAPPY BIRTHDAY PAUL WEBB!

It's a work day for me, which means I only really get my drive in and back home to tuck into his almost 40 year old catalogue of really good music to celebrate. Of course his most recent 'Drift Code' album is in there, all three .o.rang releases and along with newly transferred from vinyl 'Out of Season' with Beth Gibbons, which has been on loop since the transfer on New Year's day when I finally got a moment to hook up my record player to my laptop. Honestly, if you haven't heard any of these albums, why are we even friends? Go out, listen, redeem yourselves! :) 

Normally, at this point, I would go on to tell you that he's one of my favourite bass players. In case you didn't already know, I have a thing for them. And there would be me gushing about how he was (along with his other bandmates) not hard to look at and hell, he's still hot. But I wouldn't lower myself to that kind of fangirlling. Not today. That would just be weird. 

And calling Paul Webb a bass player? That's not a fair assessment of him. He's, as I discovered, so much more than that. Someone who takes the time to learn almost every instrument to play on his album... well that's a sign of a great musician so far as I'm concerned. So instead, I'm going to tell you he's one of my favourite musicians of all time. 

Happy birthday Mr. Webb. I hope you spent it doing whatever you wanted to do.


No comments:

Post a Comment