Monday 6 January 2020

Stuff I'm Listening To - #77 - The Beastie Boys - Sabotage


Artist: The Beastie Boys

Title: Sabotage

Favourite Lyrics:

I can't stand it, I know you planned it
I'mma set it straight, this Watergate
But I can't stand rockin' when I'm in this place
Because I feel disgrace because you're all in my face
But make no mistakes and switch up my channel
I'm Buddy Rich when I fly off the handle
What could it be, it's a mirage
You're scheming on a thing, that's sabotage

Why?:
Like many of you, the first song I'd ever heard by these guys was "Fight For Your Right To Party". I can't give you any specific memory here. It was a hit and everyone loved the song around me. The 80s were a weird time and spawned plenty of one-hit wonders. This could easily have been them. That song was super catchy. They could have quite easily have faded away. But often, as with many talented artists, don't let their mega hit fool you. These guys were super talented and spawned more than one hit and some super great music. Their sophomore album, 'Paul's Boutique' widely panned, only to be recognized later for the masterpiece it is. And it didn't stop there.

No surprise, these guys started out punk and made the move to rap. As I said before, punk is funny, and they carried that through. 

Their videos have always been as amusing as their songs. This one is no exception. It taps into all the cop movies and shows I don't ever recall watching in their entirety but am familiar enough with because I suspect Dad and older brother did and I, being the baby, had zero say on what we were going to watch on the one television. 

This comic book cover is from the beautiful comic book inspired by the video in honour of Adam Yauch by artist Derek Langille. Link below. 

http://dereklangille.blogspot.com/2012/06/for-adam.html

No comments:

Post a Comment