Friday 3 January 2020

Stuff I'm Listening to #76 - Kate Bush - Cloudbusting


Artist: Kate Bush

Title: Cloudbusting

Lyrics:
But every time it rains
You're here in my head
Like the sun coming out
Ooh, I just know that something good is going to happen


Why?: This is actually my first clear memory of Kate Bush. I really enjoy her body of work. She's a phenomenal artist. 

I remember not quite enjoying this song at first, but the video made me stick around. In my research I have discovered that Terry Gilliam (of Monty Python) actually conceived the video, which provided me with that 'Eureka!' moment. I love Monty Python and I really enjoy Terry Gilliam's work, so it should be of no surprise that the video would grab my attention the way it did when I was ten.

Eventually the song did grow on me. Bear in mind the song wasn't what my synth-pop tuned young ears were used to hearing. As I got older and experienced more of life, the song started to make more sense to me. 

Why this song now? It legitimately popped into my playlist today and having friends in Australia (@mynamelorraine) hoping for some reprieve from the fires, it just seemed appropriate. Also, I know that Kate is a fav of one of earliest Instagram buddies @hollystarlightpinup and I was thinking about her the other day. I know she’s been busy and hasn’t instagrammed for a bit. Funny how songs you haven’t heard in a while will pop up when you need them to.  

No comments:

Post a Comment