Monday 20 January 2020

Stuff I'm Listening To #81 and #82 - Gee that sounds familiar...


Artist: .o.rang

Title: Little Brother

and 

Artist: Mark Morgan

Title: Traders Life (The Hub) from the Fallout video game soundtrack

Why?: It's weird how things converge at times. I say this because as you know, I'm constantly blogging about my favourite music, and just recently posted about video game music. And unless you're new here, you know I'm a huge fan of Talk Talk and by extension, I've come to really love their other work, for example, .o.rang, Paul Webb and Lee Harris' amazing project after Talk Talk. 

But, who knew .o.rang could be found, in, of all places, a post-apocalyptic video game? Not me!

As per my usual, I can't sleep, so let's start reading unusual Wikipedia entries or tonight it was 'let's create a spreadsheet of Talk Talk related links so I can better remember which ones I've watched versus which ones I have not watched' because that seemed like a brilliant idea at the time, I was working steadily on my .o.rang section of the links. Seems like there's only one video on You Tube for 'N'hoojek' and the rest are just sound only.

In my browsing I found a piece of video game music that kept getting 'recommended' in YouTube for me. So I clicked on it. Like much of the video game music I like, it was ambient and probably set up some appropriate scene in the post apocalyptic world. Seemed ambient and pleasant enough. Then at the 1:26 point my ears perked up.

Ultimately, it's one thing to license songs for your video games (i.e. Talk Talk songs in one of the 'Grand Theft Auto' games), or even getting someone to compose music for your games (i.e. Nine Inch Nails for 'Quake') but this feels like deliberately stealing a riff without credit. I know it happens all the time. But there's a ton of video game players who likely had no clue who .o.rang is. Why deny them this gem? So this post is for all you unaware video game fans. Did you like this piece of music? Want to know where it was 'inspired' from? Look up "Herd of Instinct" and then "Fields and Waves". They're two really great experimental albums with some amazing music. "Spoor" is pretty damn good too. Just saying.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment