Saturday 29 February 2020

Stuff I'm Listening To - #34 - Ministry - Jesus Built My Hot Rod (Redline/Whiteline Version)


Artist: Ministry

Title: Jesus Built My Hot Rod (Redline/Whiteline Version)


Lyrics:

Where you come from is gone
Where you thought you where going to weren’t never there. 
And where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it. 
(Sampled from Brad Dourif as Hazel Motes from the movie "Wise Blood")


And of course: 


Soon I discovered that this rock thing was true
Jerry Lee Lewis was the devil
Jesus was an architect previous to his career as a prophet
All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world
So there was only one thing that I could do
Was ding a ding dang my dang a long ling long

Why?: So let me begin by stating... this has been a weird fucking week! I've been, fortunately, busy and distracted at work, but the stress has been there, in the background, gnawing away. Thanks to @threadpennyvinyl in Instagram land for saying what she did today. It was what I wanted to say, but couldn't. With that, all the tension that's been building for a month now, has got to go somewhere. 

So let's start here, with this awesome sauce song.

Aside from the awesome speech which perfectly captures the spirit of being a biker (from my viewpoint) sampled from Brad Dourif as Hazel Motes from the movie "Wise Blood", obviously the opening lines makes the Redline/Whiteline version of this song the song of choice. This song is among a carefully selected motorcycle playlist and will likely remain forever so. It is one of the few songs that cuts perfectly through the low bassy rumble of my motorcycle pipes (a throaty set of Vance & Hines if you must know). You feel this bike before you see it and let me tell you, my bike feels good. 😆  

All the engine noise, screeching tires, intense drumming, guitars and growling about a beloved lovely hot rod. If I needed another love song about my motorcycle (because a 1968 Ford Mustang is a wee bit off budget for me), here it is. Loud, noisy, smelling a bit like gasoline, burnt oil and exhaust. Love was never a prim, proper clean thing. 

Jesus built my car
It's a love affair
Mainly Jesus and my hot rod


*Note: This was originally posted on my Facebook back on March 11, 2019 with shortened text about how awesome Brad Dourif's speech was. I've decided to expand upon it today here. Which is why it's #34 versus #87 if anyone is keeping track.

No comments:

Post a Comment