Sunday 9 February 2020

Stuff I'm Listening To #85- Covenant - Dead Stars


Artist: Covenant

Title: Dead Stars

Lyrics:  
Dead stars still burn
Dead still stars burn
  
Why?: I've got very little to say about the actual song. It is just one of those things that ended up in my music library thanks to my good friend with whom I used to spend hours with when we were teenagers. We hung out and spent hours downloading songs from Napster, then Limewire, then Bearshare. She had a pretty expansive library and this happened to be one of the songs in said expansive library. I didn't know the lyrics until just now and they have nothing to do with the rest of this post.

It's a pretty rocking dance-floor piece and the title and chorus are suitable for today as I just received news that Voyager 2 is more or less fixed and have been digging deep into why Betelgeuse is fading away and could potential go supernova in a mere 100,000 years. 

Huh? 

Yeah... amongst all the 'fandoms' I follow, science is my biggest if you can consider it a fandom. I'm not a scientist nor did I ever go into the field, but I love all things science. I'm fascinated by it and whenever a scientific or medical breakthrough is announced, I'll read what has been announced not on the generic news sites, but go digging through their source articles in their respective journals or associations to get a better understanding of what's going on. 

So if you're interested, Voyager 2 is one of two spacecraft we sent hurdling through our solar system and it's sister (Voyager 1) has recently entered interstellar space.

Betelgeuse (which is unrelated to Tim Burton's 'Beetlejuice') forms the left shoulder of the constellation Orion. It's a bright star and has been getting dimmer. If you are to believe the reports, it's been in its death throes for the last ten years. Exciting shit if you're into astronomy. 

Links here: 
NASA's Voyager mission status: https://voyager.jpl.nasa.gov/mission/status/#where_are_they_now

Betelgeuse: not going to explode soon: https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/dont-panic-betelgeuse-is-almost-certainly-not-about-to-explode

Update: Voyager 2 is fully back online as of yesterday. Woot to mission control who got it up and running despite the fact it takes 17 plus hours to send a signal to it and 17 plus hours to receive a signal back from it, being at this time, over 17.7 billion kilometres from here. 



Link - https://www.inverse.com/science/nasa-brings-voyager-2-fully-back-online-11.5-billion-miles-from-earth

No comments:

Post a Comment