Saturday 23 November 2019

Stuff I'm Listening To #73- A Week of Soundtracks - the NeverEnding Story


Artist: Limahl, Giorgio Moroder, Klaus Doldinger

Favourite Tracks: the NeverEnding Story, Swamps of Sadness, Happy Flight

Why?:
So, I was about nine years old when this movie came out. I can tell you, it was one of those lovely fantasy movies that I could relate to. I read a lot when I was younger. I used to immerse myself with my favourite radio station (AM680 CFTR for those wondering. Back when they used to play Top 40) and sit with whatever book I'd borrowed from the library. If I wasn't reading, I was watching whatever music TV I could get. And this movie's theme song was big at the time. 

So tell me honestly, what bookworm wouldn't want to journey to a place that's got adventure at your disposal and a super cheerful luck dragon to boot? A place where you can wish a dead horse back to life? Yes... I fully admit I was left very damaged by that scene. Artax was the source of much childhood trauma for me. 

The Swamps of Sadness will forever evoke some pretty heartbreaking memories for me.

Finally, there's Bastian's Happy Flight. Where he brings you along with his quick tour of this phenomenal fantasy world and gets those bullies back.

The soundtrack was composed by 80s Italian electronic music phoneme Giorgio Moroder. He's responsible for a lot of those New Wave tracks you liked back in the day (He paired off with Human League's lead singer Phil Oakley and that song you probably know, 'Together in Electric Dreams'). If it was a top 40 hit in the 80s, he may very well have had his hand in it. German Jazz and film composer Klaus Doldinger from the band Passport also had a hand in creating a great 80s fantasy soundtrack. 

As a result, that soundtrack couldn't have been more 80s if it tried. As for Limahl, I was never a Kajagoogoo fan. I only ever liked the theme song because it was catchy and I was nine years old. I was easy to please. 

Swamps of Sadness


 
Bastian's Happy Flight

No comments:

Post a Comment