Tuesday 12 November 2019

Mark Hollis: A Euglogy from Derek Pike



This gentleman (Derek Pike) was kind enough to share his memories of Mark to a Facebook group (link here) after discovering he had passed. I’ve copied his words directly from the post below to try and keep this little snapshot of Mark’s life from getting lost. It’s a touching tribute and should stay with the photos. Unfortunately social media moves fast and the pictures have moved along without the backstory. I know the photos will get shared countless times. I only ask you keep the story with them.

From Derek Pike:
How incredibly sad... unfortunately news as this is slow reaching the U.S. (if ever). I met Mark in Italy on a 2008 Ducati bike tour and had no idea he was the lead singer / founder of Talk Talk until our last night of dinner. So unassuming and very funny with a dry wit most wouldn't appreciate (I certainly did!). We talked non-stop about motorcycles and his beloved Ducati Monster. My wife and I felt an instant connection to him and his sincerity was palpable... just a real down-to-earth guy. I'm still in shock... last we talked he & a friend just completed the trans-America trail... a trail ride from TN to OR. He remarked he had an amazing time and 'oh yeah, you live in a REALLY big country'! We fell out of touch, but I believe I could have picked up the phone or sent an email and he would respond ASAP. What a sad day (for me) and loss for us... I hope his family is remembering the good times and that assuages their (and our) loss. Take care, Mark... can't wait to play guitar with you when next we meet. 😢

No comments:

Post a Comment