Friday 22 November 2019

Stuff I'm Listening To #72 - A Week of Soundtracks - Blade Runner


Artist: Vangelis

Favourite Tracks: Love Theme, End Titles and Tears In Rain

Why?:
I've mentioned several times already, by name dropping the film, that I quite enjoyed Ridley Scott's adaptation of Philip K. Dick's novel "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?"

Ridley Scott changed the way the 80s looked. Don't believe me? Watch anything prior to 1982 and then anything after. Suddenly things were sleeker, darker, but gritty, Asian inspired and crowded. More... science-fictiony. Look at any music video made after the film. Everything looks weirdly glossy and dark and could have easily been plunked into the Blade Runner universe. And yet, no surprise, here was a movie that did not do well at the box office and opened to mixed reviews. The 80s was filled with too many visionaries and audiences that didn't know what to expect or how to react.

Let's discuss the moody soundscape that Vangelis gave us. I think what makes this soundtrack amazing to is how much of it was improvised on the spot by Vangelis. He composed the soundtrack as he was watching the film and came up with some truly amazing pieces and moods. 

The love theme from the movie wasn't this euphoric mess of fairy tale romance that the usual love themes from 80s movies were (I'm looking at you David Foster!). It was a moody piece, filled with melancholy, fear, regret. But that love scene was just that. It was also clearly a bit confusing for Rachel who had (SPOILER ALERT) newly discovered she might be a Replicant and needed something to hold onto. Deckard probably not the best option, but at that point, the only option for her. It painted a truer picture of what love and desire can be. A bit scary and desperate at times.  

Then there's the End Titles piece. A lovely bit of electronic goodness. A driving tune to sum up the movie. 

Finally, the best part of the movie (and fitting that it too was improvised), Roy Batty's final monologue. Vangelis' addition was subtle and quiet. He let Rutger Hauer's touching performance take front and center. This scene and speech, reminding us all how fleeting life can be is most touching when you remember a lifetime for a replicant is four years. How sad everything Roy has seen and experienced is now lost, like tears in rain. 

Rutger Hauer's improvised speech sticks hard to me. He laments that everything he is will be lost. I can relate. I have a confession, and I apologize for being a complete downer. I'm sure I've mentioned it before. My mother has Alzheimer's. It tends to run down the female side of the family. Everything she knew is gone except for what my brother and I and anyone who knew her can remember. I started blogging and Instagraming because one day, if ever I can't remember these things, at least they're here for prosperity. I have no children, but I have a nephew. He can see all the things his nutty auntie thought were important today. Here is some snapshots of my life for him when he's old enough to appreciate them and if he ever wants to know and I'm unable to tell him. 

Should you see this movie? Fuck yes. There's so much thought and care that went into this dystopian future. Watch the director's final cut. While Harrison Ford's narration is helpful, it's unnecessary. It's a beautiful movie.
 
Love Theme


End Titles



No comments:

Post a Comment