Monday 2 September 2019

Stuff I'm Listening To #60 - Rustin Man


Artist: Rustin Man

Title: Light the Light

Favourite Lyrics:
Light the light when the load ain't easy, light up, don't fade it
There's much to endure, so much to cast away
How, how, how long can you leave it? 
There's a grand highway out here, waiting for you to let go

Why?: 
I've hit some kind of milestone here. I've managed to commit myself to posting a song on average once a week for the past year on Facebook anyway. That's like 'Life Event' worthy. Some songs dripping with nostalgia for many, some songs clearly greeted with a giant "WTF?", even from my beloved husband who sat confused as to why I thought a lyric about "All the dishes rattle in the cupboards when the elephants arrive" was an appropriate love song from me to him. *insert mad giggling from me*.

But if you've followed anything I've written before you know I'm wordy and weird. But dammit, I have phenomenal taste in music. Which is why for this milestone thing I've decided to post this song. I've likely said it before and I'll say it again; the whole Drift Code album is good and definitely worth a listen. Outside of Vanishing Heart and Judgement Train, as per my usual pattern, i.e. If it has a video, I probably like it (hence, Our Tomorrows also liked by yours truly) Light the Light, was the one that popped out from the rest on my first listen to this album. 

I can't tell you why it popped. It just did. Something (my subconscious mind, no doubt) was screaming 'You need to go out for a long bike ride and appreciate this. There's many levels here. You'll see!' My subconscious mind knows me best. When I'm riding, I get into this zen state and suddenly the asphalt smells sweet, the sky is a sharper shade of blue, the clouds are a softer, welcoming texture. Even the roar of my motor backs off from the aggressive city barking it does, into a lulling purr. 

And it was on the first long ride this year, I managed to queue up my playlist in such a way that this song came up just in time for a long, uninterrupted stretch of highway. I think I must have Instagrammed Rustin Man immediately once we'd stopped for a break. He needed to know how perfect this song was on a motorbike! (And he, being a gentleman, replied and made my day!) The song was this playful romp across a piano, backed by this subtle jazzy drumming that permanently pasted an image of a smoke-filled speakeasy from the 1920s wherein these guys would have been the house band. The lyrics perfectly match my feeling of being out on an open highway, the strife and troubles left behind, for a little while anyway. You can tell I'm listening to this song as I start to do these full lane sweeps in time with the song. It's akin to me dancing on my bike. I am still listening to this song and the rest of the album and there is still more to be discovered. 

As for why it took so long for me to post anything off Drift Code... Simply put, I was a little embarrassed. I'm not great at articulating why I like certain music without some motorcycle or childhood/teenage anecdote attached to it. And I'm good at completely missing the point of songs at times (so apologies if I've done that here). This album deserves a far better review than I'm likely able to give. Also, me grunting "Good album, go buy", while perfect for the current attention span of people like me, just wasn't going to cut it.

No comments:

Post a Comment