Wednesday 8 August 2018

Stuff I'm Listening To #2 - Talk Talk


Artist: Talk Talk

Title: It’s My Life

Favourite Lyrics: 
Funny how I find myself in love with you. 
If I could buy my reasoning, I'd pay to lose.

Why?: Mark Hollis’ deeply emotive voice. The lyrics speak of a tumultuous relationship. Love, drama, and so much emotion. I think of my own love life and the song makes me nostalgic. Quintessential 80’s new wave. A little alternative, a little pop, a little weird (watch both versions of the video, but also animal documentary footage! It was as if they crafted a perfect video for my nine year old self. I want to know who do I write to to get my digital cable provider to give me the option of watching any animal documentary with the choice of David Attenborough, Lorne Greene or David Suzuki narrating and the choice to have the original soundtrack or Talk Talk... sorry I digress). Also, Mark Hollis is super cute in the second version of the video. Nobody said I needed deep valid reasons for enjoying music, okay? Jesus... I could go on for pages about this, but I'm not here to scare anyone off. ... k. I'll stop gushing.

Honestly, I’m saddened that it took me this long to start seeking Talk Talk’s extended library of music. I love their music and they’ve broken up. Also, this song is no longer a song about a human relationship in my life. I sing it to my Precious motorcycle often. I'll be sure to explain someday.

Edit update: December 31, 2018: So… when I posted this video, I basically dove headfirst into this band. Like… dove in… In my head, I’ve gone and married all the core band members several times, written their last names after mine… you know… going through my mid-life crisis by being a teenaged girl. It was Duran Duran the first time round. 

Pity my husband who had to put up with me listening to Talk Talk non-stop for about a month (and counting) and visibly cringes if I mention the name Mark (eeeeeee. OMG…. I love this man so much… eeee!) Hollis, Paul (automatically I had the hawts for him because he's the bass player! Plus have you seen him lately with his Rustin Man stuffs? Still adorable.) Webb and Lee (OMG... he's like, not wearing a shirt... and he's hawt! And why are drummers shy? Roger Taylor from Duran Duran... hawt... shy... gah!) Harris and anymore. I think the whole Talk Talk library, and beyond (I’m talking, Mark Hollis’ solo stuff, O.Rang, Rustin Man) is very much worth a listen. It’s really great stuff.

Edit update 2: March 1, 2019: So of course, you understand that this was written months before February 25th, 2019. The day the news broke I was beside myself. Like, seriously? I just got into you and you go and die on me?! But as a Firefly fan, I know what it is to be disappointed by things cut short and what heartbreak is. *Yes, that was a terrible joke. This is why I have kept my day job. Shut up.* Needless to say, it’s a great song still. RIP Mark Hollis. Thanks for making me feel 14 again. *sniffle*. 

Edit update 3: May 7, 2019: First... apologies to the band for instantly objectifying them. I blame unbalanced hormones (But... daaaaamn! Super talented and hawt... Sorry! It's Scotch this time you can blame. Hehe). And hey! I can post multiple links in my blog! Here is the second video: 

 
   
Note: This was originally published with video link and lyric choice only. 

No comments:

Post a Comment