Sunday 13 October 2019

Stuff I'm Listening To - A Week of Covers - Day 6 - Kiss


Artist: The Art of Noise featuring Tom Jones

Original Artist: Prince

Favourite Lyrics:
You don't have to be rich
To be my girl
You don't have to be cool
To rule my world
Ain't no particular sign
I'm more compatible with
I just want your extra time and your
Kiss

Why?: It's undergarment flinging time! 

I have to say I like Tom Jones' version better than Prince's. It's not because I heard Tom Jones/Art of Noise version first. I already knew of Prince’s version. 

I like Prince. He’s an amazing artist with an awesome back library. The first song I'd ever heard from Prince was the song When Doves Cry. I remember my older brother used to tease me over liking the song, but I can't remember the particulars for the teasing. I think he may have grown sick of the song from the over exposure it was getting at the time. I purchased (or I made my dad buy it for me... it was so long ago and I don't remember how I came to own it) the soundtrack for Purple Rain on cassette because I really liked it. 

I’m also a fan of the Art of Noise. These guys burst into my life in the form of the Close to the Edit video. My recollection of that music video was them destroying the piano with sledgehammers and chainsaws, and my mother being utterly horrified. My 10-year-old self was happy because it was a good representation of how much I detested practicing piano at the time and it was my little bit of rebellion to keep the music video playing while my mom made Korean sounds of disgust at the wanton destruction of a perfectly good piano on screen. 

I wasn’t sure who Tom Jones was. However when of this version of kiss came on the radio I was immediately drawn to it. Art of Noise’s big brassy sound and Tom Jones’ booming voice worked well together. I really do love Tom Jones' voice. 

The video for the original version by Prince is below. 



No comments:

Post a Comment