Thursday 25 July 2019

Dum Dum Girl - Video Version 1 by Talk Talk - Transcription

Updated June 17th, 2020-Thanks to everyone who is helping this transcript along. Your help is greatly appreciated.
 
So... it occurred to me a while ago how many fans of Talk Talk were not anglophones. Part of Talk Talk's charm was their wacky sense of humour and sadly it gets lost because people don't quite understand what they're saying. Even I have problems with their Essexian accents or whatever they are. ;) (I'm being facetious here. I know Mark's from North London and he was born in Tottenham. Lee and Paul are from Southend).

Being the daughter of immigrants, I spent a lot of my time translating complicated English into simpler English which fit what vocabulary they knew. I've always tried to be about clear communication since. 

Consider this a labour of love for any non-English speaking fan. And while Google Translate or whatever translation program you use isn't going to be perfect, it'll better help you understand what the hell our favourite guys from London and Southend were saying. 

Disclaimer: I don't own any rights and my transcriptions aren't 100%. Oh and hey! Any Brits out there who can correct and add to this, please feel free to comment or email me and I'll keep this as up to date as possible. 

Without further ado, here is the band banter from the Dum Dum Girl video, version 1. Links after the transcript.


Mark Hollis: Right. Trousers. Right? It’s these things here. Trousers. Tra! Tras-izz. That’s trousers.

Tim Pope: Yeah.

Mark: I feel really weird standing like this.

Tim: Well look at him (? - unintelligible)

Mark: I dunno who I feel like, but i know it ain’t healthy.

Tim: You feel like me, don’t you?

Mark: I know it ain’t healthy.

Tim: You feel like me don’t you?

Mark: I hope not. I do dearly hope not.

Tim: (laughing)
-----------------------------------------------
Lee Harris: How are you me old china? (*see note below)

Mark: How are you? Alright. (shouting) Hey! Hey!

Lee and Paul Webb: Oi! (shouting)

Mark: I love my auntie June. (?-Note: I heard this "Well I find it all in tune.")

Paul: (unintelligible/I don't understand what he's saying here)

Mark: Well, fuck off then* (? - NOTE: I initially heard "Well, it’s my first day" and fully admit I still don't hear him dropping an f-bomb. I'm going to say because my ear is definitely not trained for his accent)

Mark: I feel like I’m in the Pink Floyd.
-----------------------------------------------
Mark: How are you? Alright?
 
Mark: Stereo (?- NOTE: A couple of people have said Mark is saying "Stereo" here. I worked it out to be "Stop staring").

Paul: (unintelligible/I don't understand what he's saying here)

Mark: Who is he? We all like him (?).

Paul: Well, I’m tripping.

Paul: So you say trousers and pud out. Ahmmm...🐙

Notes and updates: 
* Lee is using Cockney Rhyming Slang here - for your reference:
Alderton's Cockney Rhyming Slang dictionary

🐙 This update comes direct from Rustin Man himself. (scroll down to see @trumanfalls question about the "TRAASERS!" and you'll see the comments I'm referring to. 

Talk Talk - Dum Dum Girl 1 from Rai Den on Vimeo.


If the above link doesn't play in your region try this link to MTV Africa's website HERE.

7 comments:

  1. the bit where he puts his hands to his glasses, he dont say stop stareing, he says stereo, , i am sure thats what he says.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are the second person to point this out to me. I've updated the text in my blog to reflect both interpretations. Thank you for your feedback!

      Delete
  2. Mark says (as Lee and Paul move away round the track out of shot to the left) it's not "Well it's my first day" he says "Well, fuck awf (off) then." Then Mark turns around and after a few seconds says, "I feel like I'm in the Pink Floyd."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thank you anonymous commenter for forcing me and my cohorts to rewatch the video several times. I'll add your input into the transcription. I'll fully admit I can't hear it tho it's probably more to do with my ear not being trained to hear it (I've fully admitted I have trouble with his accent). Cheers mate!

      Delete
  3. Where Mark puts his hands to his glasses he starts to add sing the words "dum dum" but interrupts himself to say "stereo"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your feedback. Much appreciated! The edit was noted above by someone else and I did make the change. :)

      Delete