Thursday 20 September 2018

Stuff I'm Listening To #10 - PiL - Don't Ask Me

Artist: Public Image Limited (PiL)

Title: Don't Ask Me

Favourite Lyrics: 
No more toilet paper, it’s gone just like the trees.
Do you like the taste of honey? Isn’t best without the bees?
Be careful what you’re doing - You’re messing up my life.
And if all this world’s a cake, then you took to big a slice.

Fun Fact: This song is almost 30 years old.
Why?: This was the first PiL song I’d ever heard. It was a happy sounding pop song about something terrible. Something I always seem drawn to. I was vaguely (hahahah) aware of the Sex Pistols at the time and one or the other was my stepping stone (heh) into Punk. I like Johnny Rotten. He’s opinionated and smart. I may not agree with all of his views, like the fact he likes the Donald (Trump) but he’s articulate and not a drooling idiot like his former band mate, Sid Vicious (whom I liked also, but for the fact that he was a drooling idiot full of raw angry energy). But Listen. The song, it was a warning. This song is almost 30 years old. We knew as far as back then about the mess this planet was in. And look where we are. Poppy happy sound, terrible message. Right up my alley. 

Note: This was originally posted to Facebook without comments. 

No comments:

Post a Comment