Sunday 11 August 2019

Stuff I'm Listening to #58 - Special Triple Bill: Kate Bush, Booker T and the MGs and Talk Talk

Today I wanted to present to you two songs that planted the seed for a wonderful third song. So there's a lot going on. This is also a bit of an I'm sick and in bed and trying to write stuff thing, so I figure this might be a 'take my mind off things' kind of post. Good music is involved and some trivial items to tuck under your belt for the the next time one would need such information. Like, when talking someone like me, who thrives on trivia and wants nothing more than to show up on Jeopardy and smash Ken Jenning's record win. 

FIrst, let me present one of my favourite songs by this awesome artist, Kate Bush and wish this phenomenal artist a belated happy birthday. I remember watching Kate's performance of Running Up That Hill in the Secret Policeman's Third Ball, which I used to own on vinyl (not sure if I still have it, will look). What a phenomenal voice and such power. And I remember being so dismayed that all anyone else seemed to focus on was that she'd gained weight. Being heavy set myself, it got under the skin, and I stupidly remained quiet about it. But I digress and her performance was amazing and no one would deny that. 

I could not find the performance online so I present the official video instead:


Second I present Green Onions by Booker T and the MGs. The organ part of this song is unmistakable right? I know there's a ton of you out there going, oh... that's the name of this song? I think in Toronto, people in my age group were most familiar with it being the backing soundtrack to some promotional filler for either channel 47 or CityTV. I can't, for the life of me remember, so anyone who can, please, fill me in. Of course, naturally, I'm going to find the video link that comes from a most influential movie in my life, Quadrophenia, which is why I ride a motorcycle now. The song was featured in the movie. I like this tune.





So. What do these two songs have in common with the third song, Life's What you Make It by Talk Talk you must be asking yourself (except all you die-hards Talkie-Talkie's out there. You're all like, "Skipping to video, stop yer yammering"). 


From Wikipedia:
'The song was one of the last to be conceived for The Colour of Spring, following concern from the band's management at the lack of an obvious single among accumulated work. Initially unwilling, Mark Hollis and Tim Friese-Greene, the principal source of original material for the band, accepted the task as a challenge. Friese-Greene: "I had a drum pattern loosely inspired by Kate Bush's 'Running Up That Hill' and Mark was playing 'Green Onions' organ over the top." ... The track was embellished with David Rhodes' guitar hook.'

So I present the child of the first two songs, but not the official video. Instead here is a taped ‘performance’ from what I assume is from France, wherein they make so little effort to convince anyone they’re playing this live, and gives us some great candid footage of these guys. My understanding is that they're 'taking the piss' out of lip-syncing. Forgive the incorrect usage if any. I'm still not fluent in British slang. Enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment