Tuesday 19 March 2024

I'm still Terrible Blogger and Terrible, Terrible Chips

In my previous post I mentioned I had mostly moved over to Instagram because of ease of posting. Well, I'm still doing it. 

If anyone is wondering why I'm filling my stories with birthday posts, it's mostly my way of trying to stay mentally fit. I've dedicated time every morning to read through who's birthday it might be and learn something about why these people are famous. The first 2 months was me just posting birthdays but not sharing why I found them fascinating. Some people were kind of obvious, some are just favourite musicians, actors, etc. Anyone who brought me some joy in my life via their art or science. 

I won't be offended if you can't be arsed to look at any of them. I certainly can't look at everyone's stories. But there is is. I'm looking up people, trying to learn stories and facts. Sometimes it's just a person I hadn't know was responsible for certain things and often it's just an excuse to listen to some long forgotten song. 

It's vernal equinox today. So here I am just prattling on, no focus still. But hoping new season, new year, new beginnings, new start.

I'll get there.

Oh, wait. I mentioned chips. 

So this atrocity was put out by Frito-Lay. 

Behold. HAVOC Bulgogi Blaze chips. 

As a 1st generation Korean I can confirm all of the following: 

  • No Koreans were in anyway involved in the creation of this abomination. 
  • And if they were, they have lost their sense of taste
  • My ancestors are weeping

Aroma: Something between a subtle hint of sour body odour and vinegar, which immediately enrages me because vinegar never equals hot and most hot sauce makers haven't been able to figure it out. So instead of the intense pain of heat, you're stuck with your mouth imploding from the taste of 9 volt batteries and acid. But I digress.

Taste and texture: So, the chip is a wavy ruffle kind of deal. It is a well made chip. It is satisfyingly crunch like a good chip should be. And then... it tastes like... weird barbecue seasoning. If you've had barbecue chips, you know what they taste like. They're actually fairly decent, with the right amount of smokey sweet, hint of ketchup seasoning.

This was as if you'd ordered your chips from Wish. Poor flavour, like expired dollar-store popcorn seasoning made in some unknown people's democratic republic buried deep between the USSR and China if such a thing existed. Which it no longer does because either China or Russia annexed it. 

I noticed that this bag had a 'Vegetarian' label on it. And immediately felt sorry for all the vegetarians who have given up meat and then you punish them by offering this sad trip into No-flavour town. 

There's even this cute label on the bottom corner claiming these chips are supposed to be hot. Alas, the amount of heat from the seasoning would best be described hot, like a warm summer day on the rejected planet of Pluto.

This is a sad day in the North American chip market. So sad.

1 comment:

  1. "It is a well made chip." This is the content I am here for. But how dare you remind us of Pluto's plight.

    ReplyDelete